What Is The Process Of Workers’ Compensation?
The lawyers at Silverman, Silverman & Seligman, P.C., have decades of experience focused solely on helping injured workers obtain financial benefits for disability. Our attorneys understand the challenges you face: injured, unable to work and facing the daunting challenge of applying for workers’ compensation benefits.
Inside The New York Workers’ Compensation Process
Although the entire bureaucratic process seems daunting at first, the Schenectady attorneys of Silverman, Silverman & Seligman, P.C., can help you with every stage of obtaining workers’ compensation benefits:
- Obtain medical attention: Before worrying about who will pay for your lost work, it is essential that you obtain appropriate medical care immediately after an accident. It is important for your physical recovery, and you must obtain an initial report from your doctor that will help establish eligibility for workers’ compensation benefits. In New York, injured workers generally have the right to see whichever doctor they choose.
- Notify your employer: As soon as possible, notify your employer that you have been hurt or have contracted an illness as a result of your work. This is necessary when seeking workers’ compensation benefits.
- File a claim: Your employer should have claim forms available. Make sure you file a claim as soon as you can, because there are time limits on filing for workers’ comp. Missing a deadline for filing could render you ineligible for benefits.
- Acceptance or denial: Although some valid workers’ compensation claims go through without any problem, insurance carriers commonly deny perfectly valid claims.
- Appeal: If your claim has been denied, we can help you with the appeals process to fight for the compensation you need.
Serving injured New Yorkers since our firm’s beginning as Silverman & Silverman in 1940, we have helped thousands of injured New York workers obtain workers’ compensation benefits. Our lawyers will simplify this process for you and be with you every step of the way until you get the benefits you need.
We serve clients in Albany and all upstate Capital District counties. If you have experienced a work-related injury, you can talk with one of our experienced lawyers. Call 518-631-4521 or contact us online for a free initial consultation with a New York work injury compensation attorney.