Silverman, Silverman & Seligman, P.C.
Every call is taken by an attorney 518-631-4521

Before You Learn What We Can Do For You, See What We’ve Done For Others.

Can federal employees receive money for temporary disability?

Federal employees often work very hard at their jobs. Many play an intricate part in helping the federal government run. Without their hard work, many Americans would see an impact in their daily lives. While doing their jobs, however, many of these federal employees face difficult situations. They may suffer injuries in a workplace accident or succumb to an occupational illness. In these cases, federal employees need to understand their legal rights, including the right to compensation.

Much like private employees, federal employees are entitled to workers' compensation when they suffer injuries at work. When these injuries amount to temporary disability, special compensation rules apply.

According to the United States Department of Labor, these employees can request a continuation of their pay for up to 45 days following an accident or illness. However, beyond 45 days, workers only qualify for a portion of their previous wages. The exact amount depends on whether or not the individual has dependents or not.

If the employee has a qualifying dependent, then the person is entitled to 3/4 of the person's previous salary. A qualifying dependent includes a spouse, a wholly dependent parent, and, sometimes, a child. Children qualify if they are under the age of 18 and unmarried, if they are over 18 and disabled, and if they are over 18 and in school in certain situations. If a person does not have a qualifying dependent and is injured at work, then the federal employee is only entitled to 2/3 of the person's previous salary.

There are many legal technicalities that need to be fulfilled when a person has been injured at work. Federal employees should consider seeking specific legal advice from an attorney when injured on the job.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Do You Need Legal Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

527 State St.
Schenectady, NY 12305

Toll Free: 877-851-4319
Phone: 518-631-4521
Fax: 518-374-4338
Schenectady Law Office Map